Paving the way to a data-centric future
If we had to characterize our future in one word, it would be “data-centric”.
Today, there is an explosion of data at every level and in almost every industry. Every second, our digital world generates 4,000 terabytes of data, and this amount is only expected to increase, if not dramatically, in the future.
Data-rich applications such as machine learning and AI are key enablers of data in a wide range of applications, including data centers, 5G, and autonomous vehicles. To run these applications, a powerful processor is needed, the basis of which is an integrated circuit (IC) built on Si.
For decades, IC vendors such as Intel designed a chip that integrated all functions on the same die, however, as the industry sees the slowdown of Moore’s Law (chip densities no longer all double every two years), the scaling up of the monolithic integrated circuit becomes more and more difficult and expensive. This pushes IC vendors towards “advanced semiconductor packaging“.
What is Advanced Semiconductor Packaging?
Source: Advanced Semiconductor Packaging 2023-2033
Generally speaking, semiconductor packaging is the last two steps in manufacturing a semiconductor device followed by testing. Taking the example of IC packaging, in the packaging process, the bare chip of the IC is encapsulated in a supporting case with electrical contacts. In this way, the case protects the bare die of the IC from physical damage and corrosion, and connects the IC to a PCB board to other devices. Semiconductor packaging has been around for decades – the first volume production of semiconductor packaging was in the early 1970s. So what’s new?
As mentioned, due to the slowdown in Moore’s Law and significant increases in the cost of manufacturing a monolithic IC, IC vendors have needed new approaches to design processors that enable high performance while remaining profitable. A new design, called “chiplet”, is the key trend in the future.
The idea behind the chips is to “split” a monolithic IC into multiple functional blocks, reassemble the functional blocks into separate chips, and then “reassemble” them at the package level. Ideally, a chip-based processor should have the same or better performance, but lower total production costs than a monolithic IC. Packaging methods, especially those used to bind multiple chiplets, play a crucial role in chiplet design as they affect the performance of the system as a whole. These packaging technologies, including 2.5D ICs, 3D ICs, and high-density fan-out wafer-level packaging, are categorized as “advanced semiconductor packaging” and are the subject of our research. in this report. They allow the fusion of multiple chips at various process nodes onto a single substrate and to have small bump sizes to enable higher interconnect densities and higher integration capabilities.
What’s in this report?
This “Advanced Semiconductor Packaging 2023-2033” report includes a detailed review of the latest innovations in advanced semiconductor packaging technology, key technical trends, value chain analysis, analysis of major players and granular market forecasts. Furthermore, this study gives a comprehensive assessment of the semiconductor industry in general.
Advanced semiconductor packaging serves as the essential foundation for next-generation integrated circuits that will be used in four key markets: data centers, 5G, autonomous vehicles and consumer electronics. IDTechEx draws on its expertise in these sectors to provide the reader with an in-depth understanding of how advanced semiconductor packaging is influencing these areas and what the future may hold.
Below we list the main aspects of this report:
Technology Trends and Manufacturers Analysis
- Detailed Overview of Si IC Industry – Including Technology Roadmap and Player Dynamics
- Semiconductor Industry Supply Chain and Business Model Analysis
- Analysis of different semiconductor packaging technologies
- In-depth analysis of leading companies’ advanced semiconductor packaging technologies – including companies’ leading technology and future research development
- Detailed overview of key markets for advanced semiconductor packaging. Including high performance computing, autonomous vehicles, 5G and consumer electronics
- Numerous case studies demonstrating the use of advanced semiconductor packages in a variety of applications.
In this report, IDTechEx also examines the market scalability of key advanced semiconductor packaging technologies (including 2.5D Integrated Si, 2.5 Si Interposer, 2.5D High Density Output (Ultra) and 3D chip stacking) in the four main markets (Data Center, Autonomous Vehicles, 5G, Consumer Electronics) studied by IDTechEx. This information is translated into granular 10-year forecasts and market analysis.
Granular 10-year market forecast and analysis
- Data Center Server: unit forecast 2022-2033 (Delivery)
- Data Center CPU: Advanced Semiconductor Conditioning Unit Forecast 2022-2033 (Delivery)
- Data Center Accelerator: Advanced Semiconductor Package Unit Forecast 2022-2033 (Delivery)
- 2.5D Advanced Semiconductor Package Unit Sales for L4+ Autonomous Vehicle Sales Forecast 2022-2045
- 3D Advanced Semiconductor Package Unit Sales Forecast for L4+ Autonomous Vehicles 2022-2045
- Unit sales forecast for consumer electronics including smartphones/tablets/smartwatches/AR/VR/MR 2022-2033
All report purchases include up to 30 minutes of phone time with an expert analyst who will help you relate the report’s key findings to the business issues you are addressing. This must be used within three months of purchasing the report.